Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

April 19, 2022 at 7:19 am

The Seedbed Daily Text, April 19, 2022

My sacred pathway is my intellect. I first have to understand it in my mind in order for me to believe it in my heart, so I have struggled with the difference between knowledge and knowing in my spiritual life. However, I have learned that the things of God, the Gospel, transcend mere knowledge about Him and what He has done. The things of God are infinite not finite. They are relational not intellectual.

When I was working on my Doctorate, a mentor once told me to not get educated beyond my intelligence. What he meant was that knowledge is not sufficient in the real World. Real intelligence, knowing, is a matter of head and heart knowledge, and I would add hands and feet. To know God is to have knowledge and understanding that results in change and movement. Knowing God more deeply is a matter of believing, beholding, belonging, and blessing. It is a matter of being and doing. The Scriptures remind us over and over to keep “growing in knowledge and understanding” (Philippians 1:9).

Therefore, my answers to JD’s questions are: no my knowledge does not outstrip my knowing; my Holy Discontent with myself has led me to actively pursue the next level of knowing Jesus, which is to become more like Him for the sake of others; and yes I think my pride of knowledge and lack of the kind of humility needed to know Him more deeply and to follow Him more nearly gets in the way. I recognize that the kind of humility I need is like Paul had, “I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them mere rubbish, so that I may gain Christ” (Philippians 3:8). I have not reached that level of surrender and submission, but I continue to lean forward and I keep pressing on toward the deeper journey and relationship in Christ (Philippians 3:12-14).