Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

April 20, 2022 at 5:22 am

The Seedbed Daily Text, April 20, 2022

I would have preferred to delve into wisdom and understanding as a means of moving from knowledge to knowing, but prayer is always an important spiritual practice to consider and reevaluate in your life. I have not become a professional, but my prayer life can become routine and bland if I am not careful. This is why I am not real big on recitation prayer. I prefer spontaneous and contemplative prayer.

For this reason, I consider myself to be in an unceasing state of prayer (1 Thessalonians 5:17-18), but that is not actually praying continually like Paul is referring to in today’s text. I have found that like most spiritual practices, you have to discipline yourself to never stop praying and to pray continually for your family and friends, your church, your community, and your country. This is where an “office of prayer” comes into play and can be helpful.

An office of prayer is a liturgical ritual that designates certain times usually morning, mid day and evening, and specific methods for disciplined intentional prayer. Some monastic traditions pray seven times a day. I am not advocating this, but I am saying we need to be intentional and we need to have some structure to our prayer life.

My primary time of prayer is in the morning during my daily time of meeting with God. I pray both contemplatively and intentionally during this time, but after that I am off and running and by night time I am either too tired or too brain dead to pray effectively. As a result of COVID-19, I have adopted a midday prayer time at 12:19pm everyday. I set an alarm on my watch to remind me to pray. This has become a real joy for me and I pray wherever and with whoever I am with at this time most every day. I still pray for COVID, but I also use this time to pray continually for my family and friends, my church, my community, my country, and anything else the Holy Spirit places on my mind and heart.