Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

April 21, 2022 at 7:09 am

The Seedbed Daily Text, April 21, 2022

“We must be rescued. Until we realize this we will remain lost.” This a familiar analogy for explaining the good news of Jesus Christ and how God has rescued us out of darkness back into the light of His Kingdom. I heard an Easter sermon last Sunday that used this analogy. Neil Cole, one of my favorite authors and a former lifeguard, wrote a book entitled Search and Rescue. It is about reaching the lost and making Disciples.

The first thing that struck me about today’s text and JD’s reflection is that we are all lost and we all need rescuing. We are all born lost and even if we have been rescued by God’s saving Grace, we can still get lost and are in need of God’s Sanctifying Grace to keep us in the light.

The second thing That struck me is that dominion of darkness is deceptive. We all have an enormous capacity for self-deception. I am saved, therefore I am going to be alright. I am a sinner, but I am not as bad as those at the bottom of the pit. Even though we are no longer of the darkness, if we have been rescued, we are still living in the darkness. When He saved us He did not remove us from the World. The things of darkness are also deceptive. They can disguise themselves as good, pleasing, loving, and tolerant of others.

We all need God’s Word and Spirit to keep us in the light. We need each other to rescue us when we run off into the darkness and we all need to rescue the perishing that are all around us. We are all lifeguards in that sense.