Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

April 29, 2022 at 6:33 am

The Seedbed Daily Text, April 29, 2022

The NASB uses the term “persuasive argument” for the false teaching Paul is talking about in today’s text. Most heresies are fine sounding and present persuasive arguments to support their views. When I encounter them, I don’t level a personal attack and I don’t engage them in an argument or debate. I state my beliefs and seek to understand their position. I offer them Grace, but then I move on. There is no comprise or common ground when it comes to the interpretation of Scripture. Scripture interprets Scripture and it is ALL good for teaching, reproof, correction, and training in righteousness (2 Timothy 3:16). There is also no place for foolish speculation, vain arguments and dissension in the Body of Christ (2 Timothy 2:23).

Paul says something else in today’s text that reveals how we should deal with false teaching. In verse 5 he says, “For even though I am absent in body, nevertheless I am with you in spirit, rejoicing to see your good discipline and the stability of your faith in Christ.” Discipline (Doctrine) and the stability of our faith (in Jesus) are what we lean on to respond to persuasive arguments that appeal to modern sensitivities. I reject anything that does not lift up Jesus as the final authority and that departs from the Word of God and the historic foundations of our faith like the Ten Commandments and the Apostles Creed (see Timothy Tennent’s book, Foundations of the Christian Faith: a resource for catechesis and Disciple-Making and Greg Ogden’s Discipleship Essentials: a guide to building your life in Christ).

Finally, and I am sure JD will address this, Paul admonishes us in Colossians 2:8, “See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary principles of the world, rather than according to Christ.” Stay focused on Christ, the Word of God, and things above and you will be able to resist and respond to the fine sounding arguments of men (Colossians 3:1-2).