Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

May 6, 2022 at 6:31 am

The Seedbed Daily Text, May 6, 2022

Today’s Text and JD’s take on it, “Paul warns the Colossians and he warns us today to be wary of super-spiritual people and super-spiritual communities” is important, but it can be difficult to discern. Gnosticism is as alive today as it was in Paul’s day, but our avoidance of anything or anyone “super spiritual” can cause us to miss or dismiss the supernatural nature and power of our faith. As we discussed yesterday, we can become a dead sect or a person with all the forms (motions) of religion, but without the supernatural power of the Holy Spirit, transformation and movement (being and doing).

I have experienced Gnosticism many times in my spiritual journey and I have been sucked into believing it’s claims a few times. For me, I experienced it most vividly in the Charismatic Movement, Renewal or Neo-Pentecostalism, as it is sometimes called, of the late twentieth century. For example, I began to believe that if I did not experience the Holy Spirit by speaking in tongues or being slain in the Spirit, I either had not received the Holy Spirit or I was not fully releasing or surrendering myself to the Holy Spirit and that I needed someone to lay hands on me and pray for me to be baptized in the Holy Spirit. I sensed then and I believe now that this is not true. We are baptized in the Spirit, born again, and receive the gift of the Holy Spirit when we believe and accept Jesus Christ.

Paul defines the markers of false spirituality for us in today’s Text. They are: false humility; the worship of Angels, which I interpret as worshiping anything other than God or excessive emphasis on the manifestations and Gifts of the Holy Spirit as opposed to the Fruit of the Spirit; being puffed up or claiming special revelation or understanding; and finally and most importantly, elevating anything or anyone above the head, Jesus Christ. True Spirituality is marked by true humility, denial of self, and the lifting up of Jesus, but that does not mean denial of the work or supernatural power of the Holy Spirit for miracles, healing, discernment, and Christlike living in a broken and dark World.