Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

May 10, 2022 at 5:59 am

The Seedbed Daily Text, May 10, 2022

I can identify with the metaphor “of the last mile between death row and the death chamber?” Paul makes it clear here and in his other letters that we must put to death whatever belongs to our earthly nature, which is sin, if we want to put on our new nature, which is Holy and blameless. Then he names the sins, so that there can be no confusion and we are without excuse.

I think where we struggle is the last mile. Some believe that Jesus took their sins to the Cross and put them to death and that it is finished once and for all. They believe that we don’t have to deal with our sin because it has already been taken care of. Grace covers all my sins past, present, and future, so I am alright just the way I am. Or they say that it is impossible for me to be completely Holy until Jesus returns, so I don’t have to walk the last mile.

All of this is true. Jesus paid the penalty for all and He defeated the law of sin and death for all, but this does not mean we can continue to sin. There is no condemnation or judgment in Christ, but the expectation of Christ is that you will sin no more (John 8:11). Anyone who practices sin (knowingly continues to sin and refuses to repent) is not born of God (1 John 3:9).

Jesus showed us the way of the Cross, but we still have to walk the last mile (deny yourself, pick up your cross, and follow me). We must carry our sins to the Cross and nail them there. “We must crucify our sins, which can be a slow, arduous, and agonizing death.” The good news is that we now have the power within us (The Holy Spirit) to do it and we are not alone on our walk, Jesus is with us every step of the way. And if we will let them, other believers will walk the last mile with us. “I can’t carry it for you, but I can carry you!”