Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

May 12, 2022 at 7:48 am

The Seedbed Daily Text, May 12, 2022

I can really relate to today’s Text and the “notion of the old, false self and the new, true self” because I am leading my Home Church Group through a study of Robert Mulholland’s The Deeper Journey: the spirituality of discovering your true self, and we were considering this very text Monday evening of this week. I have definitely discovered how deep and hidden the false self is and how difficult it is to root out and strip off.

The first step in this process is to receive our new identity just like we have received God’s Grace and freedom from the Law of Sin and Death. As JD says, “This old or false self must be taken off, deconstructed, crucified, dead, and buried. This only happens when we dare to believe the gloriously beautiful truth about ourselves. We are created in the image of God. We are deeply known by God, and we are profoundly loved by God, and because God loves us, we are, in fact, lovable and worthy of love. This is true not because of anything we do or don’t do or who we are or aren’t, but because of who God is and what God has done.”

Therefore our new true self is already there inside us. We have already been given a “A” for the course when we received Christ as our Savior. All we have to do is release our new true self through the power of the Holy Spirit, and start living into our new identity. We do that by centering ourselves in Christ, abiding in Him, and making Him not only Savior of our life, but Lord of our life. Out of this reorientation of our life will flow detachment from our old false self and the things that it is rooted in.

The next step is to form the types of relationships that foster the “Deeper Journey,” a loving union with God and others where we can experience “cruciform” love, encouragement and prayers, and accountability for attending to the spiritual principles of the “Deeper Life.” These principles have two inseparable dimensions, “our life of personal intimacy with God and our life of public intimacy with God” (Mulholland). More to come!