Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

May 17, 2022 at 5:52 am

The Seedbed Daily Text, May 17, 2022

I think Paul and JD are on to something. I too remember the songs we sing more than the Sermons and they matter more than the Sermon because we can participate in singing the songs of our faith. We remember them because we sing them over and over again. They admonish and teach us because most of our hymns and praise songs draw their inspiration straight from the Word of God, especially the Psalms, God’s Hymnal.

My personal favorites are the traditional hymns because that’s what I grew up on, but I have come to love an appreciate contemporary praise songs. Even though the beat and tempo may be different, if you focus on the words you will get the meaning. One concern I have about contemporary praise and worship singing is that the focus is sometimes too much on the performance or presentation of the songs with the addition of all the different musical instruments, lights, fog machines, and worship leaders. I always look around to see if people are actually singing and worshiping or are they just standing there being entertained like at a rock concert.