Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

May 19, 2022 at 4:32 am

The Seedbed Daily Text, May 19, 2022

Today’s Text is right, but the title is obviously for verses 18-19. The scriptures are clear, Children should honor and obey their parents, but parents should love their children as Christ loved them. Fathers should not exasperate and frustrate their children to the point that they are broken and loose heart. Parents are to train them up in the way they should go (Proverbs 22:6) and we can only do that by modeling Christ for them. I have never thought of this as a “theological” responsibility, but that does give it more weight.

Fortunately, I was raised by loving parents who stayed married to each other their entire life. Even though they did not train me in the way of Christ explicitly they did so implicitly. Here in lies the problem when it comes to raising children. Some parents don’t know Christ and some that do are still children themselves.

I did not accept Christ until I already had two children and I did not really start growing in Christ until they were grown and on their own. I did raise them in the church, but I was too busy attending programs and activities, serving on committees and doing church work, when I should have been discipling my children at home. Thank God, I was married to a Godly and mature, real Christian women that did most of the parenting.

I believe that most of the problems and challenges we face in society today are a result of broken homes, absent fathers, and poor discipling on the part of the church. If that seems harsh, I invite you to offer a better explanation.