Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

May 24, 2022 at 6:27 am

The Seedbed Daily Text, May 24, 2022

There is a lot in today’s text: wisdom toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity; and let your speech be with grace and salt, so that you know how to respond to every person. I like JD’s take on this text, but I see it slightly different.

For me the text is addressing those outside my family and my church community. Paul started this letter by saying, “To the saints and faithful brethren in Christ who are at Colossae: Grace to you and peace from God our Father” (Colossians 1:2). I believe the outsiders Paul is addressing are non-believers (the lost) those outside my circle of influence, and those that are different from me. In other words, the strangers and other people that I encounter when I go out into the World.

Having wisdom and making the most of every opportunity involves spiritual discernment as to who you are to show a genuine interest in. This may sound unloving, but I believe Jesus made it clear that not everyone we encounter is ready for the proclamation of the Gospel that lives within us (Matthew 10:14, 7:6). Jesus said, “Behold, I am sending you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be as wary as serpents, and as innocent as doves” (Matthew 10:16). So for me today’s text is a word of caution and instruction. We are to view outsiders as the mission field. We need to show a genuine interest in everyone and we are to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, but we are to be wise in doing so.

For me, Letting your speech be seasoned with Grace and Salt is the way we should respond to every person. Grace and salt are love and truth. I believe our genuine interest is motivated by compassion and a profound love for all of humanity. Our message is one of both love and truth and the Holy Spirit will guide our application of these with all those we encounter.

Are far as JD’s questions are concerned, I can remember times when others showed a genuine interest in me, but it is rare. I can also remember times when I was intentional about showing genuine interest in somebody I didn’t know, but that is also rare. I think the reason it is rare is that we are too busy and too self-absorbed. We don’t really see outsiders as an opportunity. We don’t pay attention to them, we just walk on by. I think we have to train ourselves to actually see others and view them as someone worthy of the Gospel, but we have to be wise in doing so.