Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

May 28, 2022 at 6:27 am

The Seedbed Daily Text, May 28, 2022

“The Church is the World.” As I ponder this statement and JD’s conjecture, I am struck by what a sad commentary on the Church this is. We are to be in the World, but not of the World. We are to be salt and light in a dark and evil place. Unfortunately, there is more of the World in the Church than the Church in the World. I ask myself why is this the case?

First, it is because the Church is made up of imperfect people, people who are sinners not because they sin, but because they are sinners. Secondly, the Church has adopted the ways of the World and has conformed to the prevailing culture. You have to look no further than our buildings, budgets, and bureaucracies. It may be conjecture on my part, but I believe this is because of a failure of discipleship. We have built churches not disciples and we have abandoned our Great Commission.

Using spiritual maturity assessments and Barna’s Ten Transformational Stops, I would rate my discipleship as a 7 or 8 on a good day and a 5 or 6 on a bad day. As far as my church is concerned, using Laodicea at one end and a House Church at the other end as the standard, I would rate my church as 6 or seven. Our rhetoric is good, but we are still a church with small groups/bands, not a church of small groups/bands. I am dealing with this “frustrating reality” by focusing all my efforts on being and doing, on relationships and banded discipleship.