Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

June 6, 2022 at 6:25 am

The Seedbed Daily Text, June 6, 2022

The Christian Faith is all about relationships. First with God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. Then with others, both believers and non believers. We were created by community for community. We have a common bond of Holy love wether we recognize it or not because there is no distinction among humanity “Christ is all, and in all” (Colossians 3:11).

However, all are not in Christ. There is a big distinction between believers and nonbelievers, although it doesn’t always look that way when you compare the behavior of believers to nonbelievers. Believers who have repented and been baptized in the name of Jesus have received the gift of the Holy Spirit,as we discussed yesterday. Nonbelievers have not. The purpose of the giving of the Holy Spirit is for the building up of the Body of Christ “to create a supernatural, extraordinary community of ordinary people who carry, communicate, demonstrate and otherwise contagiously spread the holy love of God,”and to make Disciples of all nations. The Holy Spirit is not given for individual purposes or personal gratification.

As far as “What might happen if we shifted our aim from experiencing the Holy Spirit as an individual person to experiencing the Holy Spirit as a gathered people,” I am not sure what that would look like. First, I think there would be unity of belief and purpose in a bond of peace, true Koinonia. Secondly, I think we would be outwardly focused. Unfortunately, I don’t see that in many of the churches in America today, especially not in the United Methodist Church. Come Holy Spirit bind us together in Christ.