Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

June 10, 2022 at 5:20 am

The Seedbed Daily Text, June 10, 2022

I was once was a “solo” player and leader, but in my work I quickly learned that I needed others in order to be a successful leader in high performance situations. There was no way I had all the knowledge, experience, talents and skills needed to meet the high expectations of my employer. I also learned that it is the same way with the Body of Christ and ministry. There are no solo heroes in the Kingdom of God. It takes a Team to meet the expectations of God.

This is especially true of the Church because as JD says the Holy Spirit is both personal and communal. We are each given spiritual gifts, but they are part of a whole and one part is not more important than the other (1 Corinthians 12). We all have different gifts, different measures of faith, and different roles in the Church, but it is by working as a unified team that we accomplish our purpose for the equipping of the saints for the work of service, to the building up of the body of Christ (Ephesians 4:4-12). The Christian Faith is definitely a Team Sport.

Leadership in the Church is also a team effort, despite the elevation of clergy and the hierarchy that the modern church has established. The Church has only one leader and that is Jesus Christ. The Church was intended to be led by a team of Elders and Deacons (1Timothy 3), but we have exchanged that model for a representative form of governance or the solo Pastor leader or Pastor and Staff led model. Leadership in the Church is also a Team Sport and Jesus is our Team Captain.