Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

June 11, 2022 at 7:06 am

The Seedbed Daily Text, June 11, 2022

First, I am a man of words and I like to be challenged to think. I think we have elevated simplicity to the point that we miss the deeper meaning of Scripture. I don’t want to argue about minutia, but I think there is value in studying the Scriptures and meditating on them together. Therefore, I am not offended by JD’s proposals.

Today’s reflections certainly go beyond the Text in terms of the implications of the day of Pentecost, but I don’t find them particularly mind blowing. Nor do I find them old hat, an attitude which leads to complacency and arrogance. The concept that Jesus is both in Heaven and on Earth, and therefore we are both on Earth and in Heaven is an important part of understanding what it means to be in Christ.

Jesus is Trinitarian in nature. Another concept that is important to understand. Therefore, He is all, and in all (Colossians 3:11). He is everywhere and in everything because He was there when everything was created and everything that was created was created through Him (John 1:3-4).

If we are in Christ, we take on that trinitarian nature. We are born of both the flesh and the Spirit. That’s what happened on the day of Pentecost to all those who we’re together in one place. Therefore, we are both on earth and in Heaven, as He is, until He comes to take us home to be with Him either at our death or His second coming.

Why is this important? It is important because it is the key to how we put on our new (true) self and abandon, take off our old (false) self. We can because it is already there living inside us. We don’t have to create it or earn it. All we have to do detach ourselves from our old self by attaching ourselves to our new self. This concept is also the key to our prayer, “Your kingdom come. Your will be done, On earth as it is in heaven” (Matthew 6:10). Are you tracking with me on this or am I being to complex in my proposals?

Finally, as far as John 14:1-4, which I used recently in a funeral that I presided at, is concerned, JD is right. Jesus is talking about himself, but verse four is the catcher “And you know the way where I am going.” The way is to be in Christ before you die or He comes again. When I use this at a funeral, I speaking to the living not the dead, to both comfort and challenge.