Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

June 14, 2022 at 6:33 am

The Seedbed Daily Text, June 14, 2022

As far as the interpretation of Scripture and the revelation of God’s Will is concerned, these two questions are fundamental: What does this mean? What shall we do? I definitely believe we need to spend more time waiting, listening, and praying than we do acting, but at some point we have to respond. Peter answers the what shall we do question in the very next verse, “Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit” (Acts 2:38). The remainder of the chapter focuses on what they did, so I am not sure that I agree with JD about the adage “Don’t just do something, stand there,” which is often quoted to say that sometimes inaction is the best action.

My take on this line of thought is that we need to not be guilty of fire, ready aim. That’s what Peter’s default position was on the Mount of Transfiguration and in many other places in the Gospels, especially where Jesus washes his feet (John 13:8). This is why Peter is referred to as the “Apostle with a foot shaped mouth.” He put his tongue and feet in motion (Matthew 14:28-31) before he put his mind in gear. I can testify to this because I too have a foot shaped mouth.

What I think we need to do is ready, aim, and then fire. We need to be ready before we need to act by spending reading, studying, and meditating on the word of God night and day until it is buried in our hearts. Then we need to focus our response and actions as directed by the Holy Spirit. Otherwise, we can be guilty of the pray and spray approach and miss the target. Finally, we need to fire. We need to not just sit or stand there, we need to do something.

Quite frankly, in my view, there are far more doubting Thomas’s in the Church than there are Peter’s. I believe we are often guilty of analysis paralysis. We need to have done our analysis before there is a call to act. We need to have conformed our minds to the mind of Christ and trained our ears and eyes to hear, see, and do what He does. We need to know His voice, so we can hear Him clearly, and act quickly. I welcome your push back.