Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

June 21, 2022 at 7:05 am

The Seedbed Daily Text, June 21, 2022

There is a lot in JD’s reflection today, bad theology, bad reading of Scripture, and our image of God. Each one of these areas are important to how we respond to the “wicked” problem in our Text. Volumes have been written about each of these and a full discussion goes way beyond this space.

Fortunately, JD asks us to ponder just one principle, “How you “see” God determines how you see yourself and others and the world. And how we see God so often comes from our own broken life experience—which becomes the lens through which we see everything—and through which we read Scripture.” This is what Robert Mulholland in The Deeper Journey calls the “idol in the box.” It is God re-created on our terms in our own image so as to not offend our human sensibilities. This is also what he calls our “False Religious Self.” We can not use this lens to respond to the beggar lame from birth.

My response to all this is that the only appropriate lens for a Christ Follower is a Biblical lens and a Biblical World View. We must let Scripture interpret Scripture and use the whole counsel of Scripture to view God, our selves, and others. We can’t alter, adjust, or ignore Scripture to accommodate the prevailing culture our own human sensibilities. “All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work” (2 Timothy 3:16-17, NASB).

In my mind, the application of Scripture is where the Holy Spirit comes into play. We can’t read, interpret, or apply the Word without His involvement. “But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you” (John 14:26, NASB). But here is the kicker, there is only one Holy Spirit, and he is not going to tell you one thing and me something entirely different. When there is no consensus, the answer is not compromise or finding common ground. It is to keeping seeking God’s point of view.