Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

June 25, 2022 at 6:48 am

The Seedbed Daily Text, June 25, 2022

I have had the “Dirty Kroger” experience many times, except mine is the “Dirty Winn Dixie.” I actually don’t like to shop at the Winn Dixie on the mainland or Walmart because it is dirty, smelly, and “those people” are there, and the selection and quality of the groceries is not as good. I prefer to shop at the haughty-toity stores on the Island where there is a better class of people and better selection and quality. I wonder where Jesus would shop? I may be wrong, but I think He would shop at both stores because both groups need to hear the Gospel message, but my avoidance of people who are very different from me is my failure as a one who is in Christ and a spiritual growth point for me.

For example, I often tell my Burger King story to illustrate this point. When I lived in Perry Georgia, I would often eat at the Burger King at exit 136 on I-75 because I could jump on the interstate and get to my office in Macon quickly. The thing about fast food establishments located adjacent to major Interstate Exits is that there is always a real mixed bag of people in there. You have the locals who usually occupy a specific corner. I call it the naysayers corner. You have the travelers, the not from around here folks, usually from up North. Then you have the occasional beggars, vagabonds, and homeless folks that often have spent the night under the bridge.

This particular morning it was raining and when I entered the Burger King, I saw him sitting there in a booth near the door, wet, disheveled, dirty and smelly. I am dressed in a suit and looking very business like with my briefcase. I rushed by him not wanting to make eye contact. I get my coffee and my usual sausage, egg and cheese biscuit; sit down in my usual seat, which is in ear shot of the naysayers corner, so I can hear about the latest victim of their commentary, usually a politician or government official, and catch up on the latest small town gossip. I keep looking at the man in the booth by the door and he keeps staring at me. I prepare myself to just rush past him and run to my car, but this morning, the Jesus in me would not have it. I looked at him and he looked at me. The next thing I know, I am helping him into my car in the rain and taking him to Macon to the Rescue Mission which was where he wanted to go. On the way we just talked and I learned his story, which I won’t share here. The point of this story is that it was a learning experience and a blessing for me that I would have missed had I not been obedient. We don’t need to ask what Jesus would do; we need to do what Jesus tells us to do without hesitation or analysis.