Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

June 29, 2022 at 6:49 am

The Seedbed Daily Text, June 29, 2022

I hope you took the time to experience Maverick City’s rousing song entitled, I Thank God. Even if the form of Worship seemed more like a rock concert or something you would experience in a night club for twenty somethings (Generation Z or Zoomers) the lyrics are powerful and familiar. It is the same old song sung in a new way that may not appeal to you, but it was obviously very appealing to these young people.

And yes I had to google the lyrics. The chorus that they repeated over and over was: “He picked me up, He turned me around, Placed my feet on solid ground, I thank the Master, I thank the Savior Because He healed my heart, He changed my name. Forever free, I’m not the same. I thank the Master, I thank the Savior, Oh, I thank God.” Then they started the chant that seemed to go on forever: “Get up, get up, get up (Yeah)
    Get up outta that grave,” which sorta fits our Text today.

My usual response to this type of worship is that I don’t do that and even if I did I would probably have a heart attack or at least be laid up for a week from all that jumping around. I am an old Boomer (1946-1964) born in 1948. I have grandchildren older than this crowd. I am concerned and always have been by this style of worship and conferences that use this style of worship to stir (wake) people up. It can lead to chasing spiritual highs and mountain top experiences unless there is solid follow up and real life change. I find it to be a bit manipulative and emotionally driven, but we need to wake up, rise up from the grave, so Christ will shine on us (Ephesians 5:14). Amen!