Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

July 1, 2022 at 6:56 am

The Seedbed Daily Text, July 1, 2022

The problem that I have with JD’s take on “The Problem With Spiritual Practices” is that my research and my personal experience with spiritual formation reveals that the personal practice of the spiritual disciplines and your loving relationships with God and others are the spiritual building blocks of a Christ centered life (Reveal, 2007). I not criticizing JD. If you allow the spiritual practices to become an end in and of themselves, then you have a problem. But without the personal practice of the spiritual disciplines, especially in the early stages of your spiritual development, you will never form the memories and relationships that lead to the kind of imagination and deeper journey that JD is talking about.

Yes, I remember what Jesus said about fasting and I don’t have to look it up because I have read those words over and over again. I may have to return to those scriptures in order to refresh my memory, but they are there because I have practiced the spiritual discipline of reading, studying and meditating on the Word for years. My question from reading the words of Jesus on fasting, especially the text JD cites from Mark’s Gospel, is why don’t we fast more? Jesus plainly says that when He is gone, His Disciples will fast.

This is where I think JD is on to something when he says, “It turns out fasting is not a spiritual practice. It is a way of life to walk in fellowship with Jesus through the person and power of the Holy Spirit in the midst of his physical absence.” In my view, the spiritual practices including fasting must become a way of life for us, a Holy habit, until Jesus returns and is back in our midst in His physical form.