Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

July 3, 2022 at 6:07 am

The Seedbed Daily Text, July 3, 2022

I am not sure what is going on with the new Sunday version of the Daily Text, but today’s is a repeat of June 26, 2022’s reading from E. Stanley Jones’s Daily Devotional, In Christ. So, below are my reflections from the 26th.

The idea that Christ is cosmic (extraterrestrial or universal) and that our religion is a He not an it is profound. Jones unravels this more in the next devotional reading. The big take away for me is that, if we only focus on the forms of religion, the systems of thought, worship, ritual, and institutions, “we are this side of salvation.” We have not encountered the person of Christ. Salvation is in Christ not in the systems built by us around Him. The forms must conform to the Form.

This is a sobering thought. Does this mean that if one has never had a “saving contact with the personal Christ” that they are not saved? And if that is true, which I believe it is, what does a saving contact/experience with Christ look like? Is it a Damascus road experience like Paul had with the person of Christ? Or is it a progressive revelation that leads to surrender and submission to the person of Christ. For me, it was the latter and it happened through the reading of Scripture and the witnesses of others who were living in Christ. As our affirmation of the day states, “The words of Scripture take me beyond the words to the Word, the Word made flesh,” which is Jesus Christ the person.