Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

July 12, 2022 at 7:49 am

The Seedbed Daily Text, July 12, 2022

Don’t even get me started on weekly Sunday Services. I actually got removed from a coaching project with a large urban church because I raised the issue of the disconnect between their vision for the church and how they spent their time and money. They said they wanted to reach the people in their urban neighborhood, but they did not want to change their traditional weekly worship services and programming.

We as individuals (Disciples) are the Church Jesus is building; a chosen people; living stones; the Temple of the Holy Spirit; and a Royal Priesthood, but we like to hang out together in the Temple Courts and in the shallow end of the pool. The main focus is on the weekly worship service and programs and activities developed by the staff for the attendees. Where the worship really happens is what we do Monday through Saturday and how we equip and mobilize our people for ministry. An important part of that is the Weekly Assembly. It’s an entry point and a place and time to encounter God and offer Him “sacrifices of praise and repentance.”

However, our main focus should be on making Disciples and sending them out into the deep water as reservoirs of living water in our homes, our workplaces, our community, and the World. We should be externally focused. Our time and money needs to be spent on forming Smaller gatherings of Disciples, Home Church Groups and Bands that meet during the week to encourage, equip, and hold people accountable. We should become a church of small groups not a church with small groups. We should empower our people to baptize and serve communion in these groups. We should also partner with other churches and ministries in our communities to collaborate on meeting the needs of our communities.

Most pastors and staff that I know agree with all this, but they are trapped by catering to members that want and expect the focus to be on the weekly worship services because that is the way it has always been done. This is all they really want. They show up for an hour or two each week to be entertained, inspired by someone else that has done all the preparation, and then they are done for the week. They may go to a program or activity during the week, especially if you feed them and have free child care for their children, but don’t ask or Heaven forbid require them to join a small group, home church group, or band. They really don’t have time for that. It will take radical adaptive change to break free from the Temple Complex. Part of that is to become both a “high invitation and high challenge” church and to focus on the two percent that are thirsty.