Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

July 13, 2022 at 5:51 am

The Seedbed Daily Text, July 13, 2022

I am not big on chanting, but I am very familiar with John 7:37-38, “Now on the last day, the great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried out, saying, “If anyone is thirsty, let him come to Me and drink. He who believes in Me, as the Scripture said, ‘From his innermost being will flow rivers of living water’”(NASB). I am part of a ministry founded on this scripture and dedicated to promoting spiritual formation and intentional Christian growth for the good of others.

The question that I am focused on is “what if the level of the water is not according to your faith or feelings but according to how far down river you are standing?” Yesterday, we discussed how the weekly worship service can be one of the reasons we stand close to Temple in the shallow end of the river. So what I pondering this morning is how we lead people to stand in the deeper end of the river. In other words, how do we open our selves and others up to letting more living water flow from our innermost being for the sake of others by moving further away from the temple, deeper in the river, which is Jesus in me and me in Jesus.

I am tempted to respond, as I have many times before, by talking about the personal practice of the spiritual disciplines and small groups, home church groups, and bands, but that is not the issue. We know that works, but only a few are willing to go there. The majority are not buying what we are selling and quickly retreat back to the shallow water close to the Temple. Why is that? Is it busyness, distractions, or lack of a sense of urgency for change? I sense that it something more, but I can’t really put my finger on it, but a lack of brokenness keeps popping into my mind. What do you think?