Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

July 15, 2022 at 7:01 am

The Seedbed Daily Text, July 15, 2022

Why do we tend to walk away and in the other direction from the really hard cases the marsh presents? Why did Jesus walk straight in? What gives here?  My first response is that we like to stay in our comfort zone. It is easier to carry living water to the already living. It is much harder to wade into the swamps and marshes to bring living water to people that have been left behind, that are sick, and dead in their trespasses, but these are the very people Jesus came for and these are the ones who He sends us out to as His Witnesses and the Church. We too were once like these, but if we have truly received the living water, it is Jesus’s commission and commandment that we share it with others. That we leave the safety of Temple and the river and go into the swamps and marshes seeking the lost. If I would just stop here, I probably would get some high fives and maybe an amen or even a “Gold Star.”

However, upon deeper reflection, my contrarian or realist nature, as I like to call it, tells me that Jesus and the Holy Spirit really don’t work this way. As I have said before, I don’t think we are all called to go into the swamps and the marshes. He hasn’t gifted or equipped us to go there. To send me there would be a disaster. It would be setting me up to fail and that’s not what Jesus has planned for me. I expect to get some healthy push back on this.

Furthermore, some of the most lost are not those in the swamp and marshes. They are in our affluent families, our comfortable churches, and our suburban neighborhoods. They are not thirsty; they have not received the living water; and they don’t even realize it. These are the ones that I feel called to and that I believe the Holy Spirit has gifted and equipped me to reach.

Now having said all that, let me hasten to say that ever now and then, I am called out of my comfort zone. Not by someone preaching to me or telling me that I should, but by the Holy Spirit telling me to go there and to trust that God’s Grace is sufficient for my every need, and that whom He calls, He will equip. These are encounters that I ignore at my own loss. I could share many such stories, but like JD I will save them for another time.