Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

July 19, 2022 at 5:55 am

The Seedbed Daily Text, July 19, 2022

“Blessed are those whose strength is in you, whose hearts are set on pilgrimage” (Psalm 84:5). If as JD defines it, “a pilgrimage isn’t so much focused on a plan as it is a purpose. Really it is a winnowing and a sorting and sifting of so many purposes on the threshing floor of our lives until only one purpose remains—you, Jesus. Just you. For when you have become our purpose you become our strength,” then I am definitely on a pilgrimage. I prefer to call it a journey, a deeper journey.

Ever since I read Rick Warren’s, Purpose Driven Life, my heart has been set on a pilgrimage, a journey of purpose. This book like so many others, is focused on the two most fundamental questions of life, who am I and why am I here? What separates Rick’s book from others is that he begins his answer with the statement, “IT’S NOT ABOUT YOU. The purpose of your life is far greater than your own personal fulfillment, your peace of mind, or even your happiness. It’s far greater than your family, your career, or even your wildest dreams and ambitions. If you want to know why you were placed on this planet, you must begin with God. You were born by his purpose and for his purpose.”

I am a Child of God. I am who He says I am, and my purpose in life is Jesus, to know Him more and to make Him known by others. Everything I do flows from this realization. He is my North Star and I follow only Him. That’s my vision for myself, but I am not there yet. I can revert to my old false self or I get distracted or preoccupied with other interests, but thank God, the Holy Spirit always steers me back on course. This happens because I know who I am and what my purpose is, but it will only happen if I spend time daily listening to Him and practicing the principles of a deeper life.