Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

July 22, 2022 at 4:40 am

The Seedbed Daily Text, July 22, 2022

It seems that I have jumped ahead of JD. My reflections on 2 Corinthians 13:5 have been focused on examining and testing our faith, so as to not fail the test. If you are tracking with us, you will recall that I referenced Psalm 139 in my comments on Wednesday. I don’t say this out of pride or to boast. I say this because I am constantly reminded by the thorn in my side (sin) that I fall short of what it means to be fully in Christ. Thank God, that Paul says in the previous Chapter that God’s Grace is sufficient and His power is perfected in my weaknesses. Therefore, I will rather boast of my weaknesses (2 Corinthians 12:7-11).

I practice the spiritual discipline of examen every day and I have a Band of Brothers that I confess my shortcomings to. As JD says so well in today’s reading, “To examine ourselves does not mean to self-shame; or worse, self-condemn. Self-examination is not morbid introspection. It means to become appropriately self-critical. It means to come into alignment with what God already knows to be true about us, which is a messy mixture of good and bad, of saintliness and sinfulness, of idealism and cynicism, of ashes and beauty.” I look forward to what he is going to say about this tomorrow.

This morning, as I continue to meditate and chew on this text and what it means to not fail the test, it occurs to me that maybe it means to not exalt or think more highly of yourself than you should. Maybe pride or arrogance is failing the test. Maybe Paul is referring to humility, holy discontent, and a broken and contrite heart that realizes and confesses their shortcomings to God and others. “Whoever exalts himself shall be humbled; and whoever humbles himself shall be exalted” (Matthew 23:12). What do you think?