Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

July 25, 2022 at 6:21 am

The Seedbed Daily Text, July 25, 2022

Ok, we are back to 2 Corinthians 13:5 and the test. This time it seems that the test is the contrast between “sleepy aspirations and alert activation.” I think we have already discussed faith in action as “the test,” but the first thing that strikes me today is that James addressed this for us when he said faith without works is dead and that we are to be both hearers of the word and doers of the word (James 1:2, 2:17). It reminds me of the aphorism, “The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.” At some point, we have to act on our aspirations. As one of my “anchor buddies” shared recently, “we have to get out of the boat.”

Two things occur to me. First some don’t put their faith in action and fail the test because there is nothing to act on. They are not living and growing in Christ. They may be saved, but they are spiritual infants who can’t feed themselves and are not potty trained. When they do act they usually make a mess of things. In some cases, they are not even in the boat. They are just sitting in the Temple thinking they are in the faith when they are not.

Then there are those that focus all their time and energy on preparation, analysis, and planning. I call this analysis paralysis. They realize and know that the power to act is Christ in them. They drink heavily of the living water flowing in and out the Temple, but they prefer to stay in the boat and the shallow waters. They are afraid to act, step out of their comfort zone, or get out of the boat. This is where I am stuck, but I am learning to listen to the Holy Spirit and then do what He says. I am learning that aspirations and good intentions are great, but the power to change myself and my world is joyful obedience in Christ. There is no other Way.