Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

August 5, 2022 at 7:32 am

The Seedbed Daily Text, August 5, 2022

Well if you read my reflections yesterday, you know that today’s reading lit my fire (pun intended) for Orthodoxy and doctrinal integrity. I don’t think anyone has ever accused me of wavering between two opinions or saying nothing. Many have accused me of being intolerant and narrow minded, too vocal, and too passionate about this matter. It troubles me deeply and I definitely grasp the critical importance of orthodoxy, especially in today’s postmodern culture of humanism and idolatry. JD is absolutely correct, there can be no doxology without orthodoxy (follow the link for more on this).

I would go on to say that there is no orthodoxy without doctrinal integrity. Doctrines are a set of beliefs and core values held sacred by a group of people. These beliefs and values are non-negotiable. They do not change over time. They do not adapt to the prevailing culture. There is no wavering between two opinions. As I said yesterday, there is only one opinion and only one true God. As JD said today, “the contest here is not between Yahweh and Baal. That is not a contest at all, for Baal is not a real God.” I like JD, see it as a contest between idolatry and doxology (orthodoxy and doctrinal integrity). That is the issue in the United Methodist Church today and the primary reason for disaffiliation, not what the media tells you.

It amazes me how few in the Church today know anything about the Doctrines of our faith and why they are important. In my view, this why we have adopted the “big tent” approach. This is also why no one says anything. They don’t know the difference between idolatry and doxology. They do not have a traditional orthodox faith and they don’t know the foundations of the Christian Faith because they have not been taught that faith in most of our churches. If you want to know more about this, I highly recommend Timothy Tennent’s new book (2021) Foundations of the Christian Faith: a resource for catechesis and disciple-making (Seedbed Publishing, Franklin Tenn). I can’t wait for the fire to fall and for glory to rise.