Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

August 8, 2022 at 6:15 am

The Seedbed Daily Text, August 8, 2022

Are you seeing the difference between human religious activity trying to generate God’s response (i.e. Baalism) vs. God’s transcendent revelation evoking human responsiveness? How does this script get flipped? 

There is a big difference in the way Elijah prayed and the way we often pray. We decide what we think we need or want; we formulate a plan or demonstration of God’s power; and then we pray for Him to answer or bless it. It doesn’t work that way. God can’t be manipulated by religious activity. His revelation and our involuntary response can not be manufactured or reduced to a formula, but I see a pattern in today’s text and Elijah’s prayer and actions.

First, there is recognition of who God is and who we are. You are the God of Israel and I am your servant. There is restoration of God’s order (the alter) and a voluntary response to His commands (I have obeyed all your commands). Then and only then does Elijah pray for God to resond. That God would reveal Himself not for Elijah’s glory, but for God’s glory and so that the people would have an involuntary response of the soul not just an emotional response. That they would know that God is turning their hearts back to Him, the author of all creation.

As I reflect on our situation in America today and I witness the results of our turning away from God to Idolatry and Baalism, I am reminded of how God described this pattern of prayer and His response when He said, “If I shut up the heavens so that there is no rain, or if I command the locust to devour the land, or if I send pestilence among My people, and My people who are called by My name humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, will forgive their sin and will heal their land” (2 Chronicles 7:13-14). My friends, now is such a time as this. We need to flip the script and adopt a pattern of recognition, restoration, and responsiveness of the soul in order to allow God to turn our hearts back to Him.