Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

August 17, 2022 at 6:02 am

The Seedbed Daily Text, August 17, 2022

How do you relate to being or becoming poor in spirit? What is the shape and scope of your false self?

I have always understood being poor in spirit to mean being humble and honest with myself and God. Having a broken and contrite heart. It is knowing that I am weak and recognizing my false self. It is realizing that without Him that I am dead in my trespasses and apart from Him, I can do nothing, but in Him all things are possible. This is the first step in moving from Glory to Glory.

My false self is my futile attempts to alter this inescapable reality through my own strengths, performance and behavior management. I can’t accept the reality of who I am and who I am not, so I recreate myself. I put up a facade to save face. This is all vanity and striving after wind (Ecclesiastes 4:16).

My true self is found only in Christ. It is realized by self denial (surrender and submission); picking up my cross (cruciform love); and following Jesus (obedience). This is the way…(your turn).