Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

September 4, 2022 at 6:42 am

The Seedbed Daily Text, September 4, 2022

“Do those who continuously and persistently live outside of, apart from, and against Life perish? Do they perish by their own attitudes and actions?” The answer is yes they do. John 3:18 says “He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God” (NASB). Belief in Christ is the only way to have real life and immortality.

Those who do not believe in Christ are already judged and are dead in their trespasses. They are born that way (Ephesians 2:1). We are made alive in Christ; we are re-born; forgiven of our sins; and we receive the gift of the Holy Spirit and eternal life when we believe. This is a hard teaching, but if you believe that the Bible is the breathed Word of God (2 Timothy 3:16) then it is absolutely true.

My concern is for those who profess to believe, but there is no visible outward evidence of their being “In Christ.” Is believing in and abiding in Christ the same thing? Romans 10:9 says “that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved” (NASB). John 15:3-6 says, “You are already clean because of the word which I have spoken to you. Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it abides in the vine, so neither can you unless you abide in Me. I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing. If anyone does not abide in Me, he is thrown away as a branch and dries up; and they gather them, and cast them into the fire and they are burned” (NASB).

This is a slippery slope and I never try to judge the heart of another, but it still concerns me, especially at the funeral of someone whose life has been lived outside of Christ and there is little evidence of the Fruit of the Spirit in their life. I choose to just leave it up to God to judge their heart and err on the side of belief in Christ as the only requirement. What do you think?