Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

September 6, 2022 at 5:54 am

The Seedbed Daily Text, September 6, 2022

“Indeed, God’s will is what is happening while we are making other plans.” This statement really grabbed me this morning. I am constantly asking for God’s Will to be done in my life, nothing more, nothing less. My Holy Discontent with the way things are and the way I am have led me to a point of brokenness, surrender and submission to Christ, but that doesn’t stop me from making plans, does it? I still have responsibilities and obligations, right? I can’t just check out or sit here waiting on the “Word of the Lord” can I?

John Lennon is generally credited with the phrase, “life is what happens to you while you’re busy making other plans,” but he certainly was not the first to use this sentiment. It is important to note that the original inspiration for this saying probably comes from Proverbs 16:9, “The mind of man plans his way, But the Lord directs his steps.” It occurs to me that for all those following God in Christ nothing that happens to us is outside of God’s Will for us (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18) and that “God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose” (Romans 8:28). Therefore, it is actually God’s Will that is happening while we think we are making other plans. Are you tracking with me?

Looking at it this way, the way of glory to glory is being clarified for me and my sense of malaise and anxiety is being relieved by my Holy Discontent. I am beginning to realize more and more that it is no longer I that controls my destiny, but the Lord of Lords and the King of Kings. My life, my plans, my actions, have become hidden with Him in God and that it is He (the living Word of God) that directs my steps. Does this make sense to you? Do you think this is arrogant or presumptuous?