Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

September 9, 2022 at 6:51 am

The Seedbed Daily Text, September 9, 2022

I have been looking forward to getting to this part of Elijah’s story. I have used 1 Kings 19:11-13 in my ministry for years because it is one of the most important things you must learn to do in order to hear from God. He does not always speak to us in wind, earthquakes, and fire. Although, from time to time he does speak to me with signs and wonders and a very loud voice, but most of the time it is a gentle nudge or whisper that comes from deep inside me, from inside my heart, where He lives and where I have buried His Words. I love the old Hymn that JD shared, but I prefer the Hillsong Worship version (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ukuAyR2J2Y).

I am a talker and a thinker, so what I have learned to do in order to hear His “gentle whisper” is to practice the spiritual disciplines of silence and solitude. The first thing I do is stop talking and stop thinking. I am not referring to some form of Eastern Meditation, but just being still and alone with God. Sometimes this takes some time, but usually it happens pretty quickly, probably because I have been doing this so long that I have tuned my ears to hear.

The second thing I do is seek solitude in order to not let anything or anyone distract me. I know this is hard, but I have to find a way to be still and alone with Him. This morning it is hard because my great grandchildren are having a sleepover with us. I can hear the pitter patter of little feet and their not so soft talking in the next room.

I do the same thing when I read Scripture. I practice Holy Reading or what’s called Lecto Divina. I read, reflect, read and reflect until God speaks. Then I try to record what He says, pray about it, and act on it.

Breathe on me, breath of God

Love and life that makes me free

Breathe on me, breath of God

Fan the flame within me.

Teach my heart, heal my soul

Speak the mind that in Christ we know

Take me to Your sanctuary.

Speak to me, voice of God

Soft and still, inside my heart (speak to me)

Speak to me, word of God

Comfort, heal, restore with light

Breathe on me.