Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

September 10, 2022 at 6:20 am

The Seedbed Daily Text, September 10, 2022

Sexual abuse is an especially grievous sin against another person. I can think of nothing worse except maybe the murder of a loved one. I consider forgiveness to be a commandment and not optional for a Christ Follower. The scriptures make it plain that we are to forgive one another as we have been forgiven (Colossians 3:13, Matthew 18-35). Unforgiveness is a barrier to our spiritual growth and prevents us from living and loving fully. It is a form of bondage and forgiveness is the only path to freedom. When you forgive those that sin against you, you are doing so for your well being not necessarily theirs.

Where I struggle is with reconciliation. Reconciliation is another matter in my view and experience. This story had a happy outcome, but there are situations, especially when physical or sexual abuse is involved, where reconciliation is not possible or even desirable. If the abuser is not repentant or receptive, attempts at reconciliation can be dangerous or harmful. When we forgive, we don’t necessarily forget and reconciliation is not a requirement in all situations. I welcome your push back on my view.