Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

September 13, 2022 at 6:30 am

The Seedbed Daily Text, September 13, 2022

I accept the fact that God has given us His Glory in Christ and I certainly want to reflect the Glory of God with an unveiled face. I don’t know about refracting His Glory. My understanding of the word refraction is that it means to alter or distort as in a ray of light shining through a prism. I need JD to shed more light (no pun intended) on what he means by that. If he means to not only reflect, but to communicate (not change) and transmit God’s Glory, then I am on board with that. Maybe one of our anchor buddies, who is an English major can help us understand this transitive verb.

The statement in JD’s reflection today that stuck out with me is, “I used to want to do great things in the world for Jesus. I had what I thought was a holy ambition. I find myself now simply wanting to be in Jesus for the world—more humble, more hidden, even obscure, reveling in the glory of his glory.” I really resonate with being in Jesus for the World as opposed to being in the World for Jesus. Do you see the difference? If we are in the World for Jesus we have no or limited power to change anything or anyone, but if we are in Jesus for the World, all things are possible.

The part of JD’s statement that I struggle with, and this seems to be a trend in his thinking, is “more humble, more hidden, even obscure, reveling in the glory of his glory.” I agree with this unless he means that we just keep quiet, don’t do anything, don’t say anything, and just revel in God’s Glory. I am quite sure that’s not what he means, but it is a reoccurring theme in his reflections. The consistent theme in my thinking is that the deeper journey (reflection and refraction) is a matter of being and doing (Mulholland, 2006).