Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

September 17, 2022 at 6:15 am

The Seedbed Daily Text, September 17, 2022

Today’s Holy Spirit story raises a lot of questions for me. It is probably because I am going through a bit of a dark night of the soul regarding our finances and the economy. Like most retirees, I worry about the money running out before Jesus comes back or my life runs out. Inflation and rising prices are your greatest threat as a retiree and that is exactly what we have now. Coupled with that, my beloved spouse is suffering from Shingles pain. She has been healed, but the pain persists, despite my persistent prayers. When you are over sixty five, you are always just one doctor’s visit away from a major health diagnosis like the one in today’s reading.

Now that I have shared my pity party, let me share the questions this story raises for me. What if the ending was different? What if Ron had died? Would that have changed anything? Would that mean that he had misread the signs or that he had taken his eyes off Jesus? My answer is an emphatic No! God wants all of us to have life and have it abundantly, but the broken World we live in and our adversary Satan has other plans for us (John 10:10). We are going to have troubles in this world and we are all going to die unless we are swept up to Heaven like Elijah or we are alive when Christ comes for the Church (1 Thessalonians 4:17), to which I shout, “come Lord Jesus.” Can I get a testimony!

I don’t want to take anything away from today’s story. I believe every story has a happy ending, but not always in this World or in the manner we prefer. I agree with Ron, “We should never take our eyes off of Jesus. If he gives you a peace about a situation, go with it and keep your eyes on him,” but I would add the phrase regardless of the outcome. I have a peace about my current situation because He has never failed to provide a way for me no matter how bad the storm and nothing can separate me from His love, not even death, and He has promised to be with me always, to the very end of the age (Romans 8:38-39, Matthew 28:20). That is what I try to stay focused on in times like these.