Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

September 18, 2022 at 5:30 am

The Seedbed Daily Text, September 18, 2022

A common theme in the Daily Text readings and certainly in E. Stanley Jones’s Daily Devotional is being “In Christ.” The readings have focused on the outcome. Those in Christ thrive, those not in Christ don’t. Those in Christ have eternal life both here and after this earthly life. For those out of Christ there is only death. Two brothers “Both equally able, with equal opportunities, but one is fruitful, the other futile.”

The question that begs an answer is, what does it mean to be In Christ? We have used terms like believing, beholding, being and doing to describe a life in Christ and in the Spirit. Jesus said to be His Disciple you must deny yourself, pick up your cross, and follow Him. He also said, In order to be fruitful, you must abide (remain) in Him. He gave us a new commandment that we should love one another as he has loved us.

It occurs to me that it is not so much a matter of what you do as to why you do it. In the story today, one brother did everything for himself unrelated to anything or anybody, the other brother did it for Christ and for others. One was in it for himself, the other was in it for Christ. “If my life and possessions are related to the Eternal, they will be eternal.”