Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

September 20, 2022 at 6:56 am

The Seedbed Daily Text, September 20, 2022

JD says the big problem is that we think we can have the Kingdom of God and the Kingdom of the World at the same time. We know that is not possible, so we settle for what JD calls the “mushy middle that winds up quite resonant with the lifestyle and values of the culture around us with a little Jesus overlay.” We are double minded. We have become like the church of laodicea, Luke warm, neither hot nor cold. That most of us are “quite content to pursue the American dream for the rest of our lives with a little Jesus overlay.”

Unfortunately, that is true for many of us and it is an accurate description of the modern church in general. We like to straddle the fence, and that never ends well. So what I want to know is what does it look like to “boldly choose Jesus over the world.” Does it mean I have to give up my pursuit of the American Dream, whatever that is? Am I guilty of overlaying a “cultural understanding of abundance onto the Christian life, when the kingdom idea of abundance means something completely different?”

I pray that is not the case. I personally don’t think that we have to sell everything we have, give it all to the poor, and adopt a monastic life style. I know what your thinking, well that’s not what Jesus told the rich young ruler (It is important to note that the story of the rich young ruler is found in all three of the Synoptic Gospels, Matthew 19:16–23, Mark 10:17–22, and Luke 18:18–23).

I believe it’s all in the sauce (Jesus). There is nothing wrong with having wealth or pursing the American dream as long as you don’t just overlay it with a little cheap Grace and Jesus. If the sauce is the main ingredient that makes it all come together then you have true abundance. If you are willing to give it all away, you don’t have to, unless He tells you to. Are you tracking with me. Am I just trying to rationalize my comfortable life. Am I just wanting to be wise, wealthy, and honored by the people around me like the Corinthians Paul is scolding? What do you think?