Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

September 28, 2022 at 7:26 am

The Seedbed Daily Text, September 28, 2022

I am more than ready to take the bumper sticker of sin off of my life, but that has not happened for me yet. I have claimed my inheritance and I know that I have the power to defeat sin in my life, but the reality is that I still sin, so if today’s text and what JD and Ben Witherington are saying is that if I sin, I am not in Christ and that I am of the Devil, then I have been deceived and I am in big trouble.

The issue of continuing to sin has always troubled me. I know that I am born again; that I am a child of God; that I am a joint heir with Christ; that I have power over the law of sin and death living inside of me in the form of the Holy Spirit, so for God’s sake, for my sake and for the sake of others, why do I continue to sin? In the translation (NIV) that JD is using verse 8 makes it clear, “The one who does what is sinful is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning.” The translation (NASB) that I prefer to use and that I believe is one of the closest to the original Greek translation puts it this way:

Little children, make sure no one deceives you; the one who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous; the one who practices sin is of the devil; for the devil has sinned from the beginning. The Son of God appeared for this purpose, to destroy the works of the devil. No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. (1 John 3:7-8, NASB).

Do you see the difference? In the NASB translation it says “the one who practices sin is of the devil.” The insertion of the word practices makes a huge difference in my view. I do not make a practice of sinning because I am “born of God.” Paul in Romans 7:20 says, “But if I am doing the very thing I do not want, I am no longer the one doing it, but sin which dwells in me.” I believe that I continue to sin because the process of sanctification by the Holy Spirit in me is not complete. I am still a work in progress. There are still places hidden deep in my heart, that even I don’t recognize, that are yet to be redeemed by Christ. Do you think that I am misinterpreting what JD is saying or the meaning of this text? This is important, I really want to know what you think.