Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

September 29, 2022 at 5:40 am

The Wake-Up Call, September 29, 2022

I have always referred to 1 John as the book of know. I have been told the word “know” appears in 1 John more times than in any other book of the Bible. If you want to know what something is, go to the book of 1 John.

In this case, if you want to know what true love is, 1 John 3:16 tells you, “We know love by this, that He laid down His life for us; and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren” (NASB). I like the way JD puts it, “Nothing is more beautiful or winsome or powerful than people laying down their (lives) interests and agendas and needs and desires for the best interests of others for their brothers and sisters.” This is quite a goal when you think about it.

Unfortunately many of us, me included, don’t love like this. Our love is more transactional and selective, and less sacrificial. This may be the best part of the Gospel, but it is certainly not the easiest. This is why only about 11% of people, according to Barna’s research, ever venture there. As JD reminds us, “we can’t learn to walk this way alone.” First, We need to walk with Jesus and allow our minds and hearts to be conformed to His. Secondly, we need a Band of Brothers or Sisters to encourage us and hold us accountable to this kind of love.