Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

October 3, 2022 at 6:16 am

The Wake-Up Call, October 3, 2022

Today is the first official day of the new format, Wake-Up Call. In case you missed it, the purpose of this daily discipline is at the bottom of the page, The Wake-Up Call is a daily encouragement to shake off the slumber of our busy lives and turn our eyes toward Jesus. Each morning our community gathers around a Scripture, a reflection, a prayer, and a few short questions, inviting us to reorient our lives around the love of Jesus that transforms our hearts, homes, churches, and cities. I look forward to continuing this journey with you.

I am not sure that I would go so far as to say that God is a farmer, but there is no escaping the fact that Jesus lived and the Bible was written in a rural agrarian culture. Just for the record, Jesus was a carpenter and most of the Apostles were fisherman not farmers. Most of us no longer live in a rural agrarian culture, so many people can’t identify with, understand, or fully appreciate the significance of the agrarian concepts of sowing, nurturing, growing, and reaping. If you have farmed, been a carpenter or fisherman, you can quickly grab the significance of this God ordained process from personal experience.

I have done all three just long enough to know that I did not want to make my living that way. It is hard work and a difficult way to make a living, but maybe that’s the point. I believe that it’s not only our busyness that causes us to be asleep. It is also our affluence and privileged easy life that causes us to miss what God is doing in our World and His wake up call for us to join in this work. Maybe we all need to spend sometime working with our hands and laboring in the vineyard with people who still live in a less affluent and more rural agrarian culture. WAKE UP sleeper and rise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you.