Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

October 4, 2022 at 6:53 am

The Seedbed Wake-Up Call, October 4, 2022

• How do you relate to this notion of your life as a “salvation-garden”?
    • What does “simple humility” mean to you in this context?

Okay, we have been down this road before. I do not mean to be a contrarian and I am not trying to find fault with JD’s point of view. I agree with Him, but I see the process of sanctification (fruit production) as more than just beholding. I can not accept that we have nothing to do with it. Fruit is actually produced based on my personal experience as a farmer and as one who worked with farmers (producers) for a large part of my career. From the very beginning God does the creating and man does the cultivating and keeping/tending (Genesis 2:15). If you plant crops or an fruit orchard and don’t cultivate and tend to them, they will not yield an abundant harvest of quality fruit.

I believe it is the same way with The Fruit of the Spirit. We don’t create it and we can’t make it grow by striving, that’s where humility comes into play, but we must cultivate and tend to it or it will wither and die. In the translation JD uses (The Message) James says, “In simple humility, let our gardener, God, landscape you with the Word, making a salvation-garden of your life” (James 1:21). In the translation that I prefer (NASB) he says, “Therefore, putting aside all filthiness and all that remains of wickedness, in humility receive the word implanted, which is able to save your souls.” In verse 22, he goes on to say, “But prove yourselves doers of the word, and not merely hearers who delude themselves.”

In both translations there are action verbs, let, putting aside, receive, prove. God is the Garden Creator and Owner. He places the fruit in us and He is the only one who causes it to grow, but we have an active role to play in that process through allowing, abandoning, and abiding. It is about beholding Christ, but is also about being and doing. The Farm is a salvation garden, but it is also a sanctification garden. I look forward to meeting JD and you in the “produce section” tomorrow.