Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

October 5, 2022 at 5:04 am

The Seedbed Wake-Up Call, October 5, 2022

I am still struggling with what JD is actually trying to say. Yesterday, I took a slightly different view of simple humility and producing the fruit of the Spirit, but today JD and I seem to be saying the same thing: “There is work for us to do, but it is a very different kind of work than we imagine. It is the work of simple humility, which looks like yielding and surrender, cultivating and waiting. Simple humility comes from nurturing the disposition it takes to passively receive something you didn’t earn, don’t deserve, and could never achieve. This is the garden plot where the fruit of the Spirit grows. When your life becomes such a place, others will be drawn to its messy beauty, nourished by its flourishing fruit, and inspired by its mysterious source.”

All I am trying to say is that yielding, surrendering, cultivating, waiting, and nurturing a disposition where the fruit of the Spirit grows requires work and it is costly. Grace is passively receiving something you didn’t earn, don’t deserve, and could never achieve. “Cheap grace is grace without discipleship, grace without the cross, grace without Jesus Christ, living and incarnate.” (Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship, 1937). What do you think?

As far as today’s question, “The possibility of human life whose terms are Heaven’s and this earth’s.” What does this poetic phrase evoke in you?What comes to my mind is that we are in the World, but not of the World. Our human life is both on Earth and in Heaven. “Your kingdom come. Your will be done, On earth as it is in heaven.”