Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

October 12, 2022 at 9:18 am

The Seedbed Wake-Up Call, October 12, 2022

I think it is important to keep all this straight and JD helps us do that this morning. We are the Garden, the seedbed; God is the Gardener; and the Word of God, the Law of the Lord, is the seed. It is both written (text) and Living (incarnate). The technical terms for these two forms of the Word of God is the Logos and Rhema. The logos, refers principally to the total inspired Word of God (text) and to Jesus, who is the living Word. Rhema literally means an utterance, God speaking through the Holy Spirit directly to us individually or collectively. Charismatic and Evangelical Christians have different views regarding Rhema and how it should be understood that I won’t get into here, but the test of the authenticity of a Rhema, a word from God, is how it compares to the whole of Scripture. Orthodoxy says that God will not speak a word that contradicts His written Word, the Scriptures, so there is a built-in safeguard to prevent misinterpretation. The obvious danger is that one who is not familiar with the logos can misinterpret or misunderstand what he or she perceives to be a Rhema (gotquestions.org).

As far as going too fast or deep, I don’t think so. That’s the problem with most teaching in the modern church today, especially seeker friendly churches. They go too slow and they are a mile wide and an inch deep. They are high on invitation and Grace, and short on challenge and Truth. I look forward to JD’s teaching on delight in the Lord and the meaning of Biblical meditation tomorrow. This is another area that is often either left out or misinterpreted.