Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

October 14, 2022 at 6:13 am

The Seedbed Daily Wake-Up Call, October 14, 2022

My walk is characterized by discipline (not duty) and delight. My salvation experience was definitely characterized more by delight in the person of Jesus than in discipline or duty. I came to Jesus and gave my heart to Him first. I publicly confessed my belief in Him as the Son of God and my savior long before I developed a spiritual rhythm (discipline) and gave Him my life to Him. I knew Him as Savior first and then as Lord of my life.

Therefore, I agree with JD, “Duty and discipline do not produce delight.” Actually, duty became an obstacle to my delight in the Lord and led me to a long period of Holy Discontent and Brokenness. Serving in leadership, volunteering for church work committees, and being there every time the doors were open did not increase my delight in Jesus, if anything it dampened it. This is why Paul cautioned Timothy about appointing new converts as overseers (1 Timothy 3:6). In the organizational church, we tend to go from baptism to serving and skip over delight and discipline. Meditation is an important part of avoiding the trap of duty and I look forward to JD’s reflections.