Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

October 21, 2022 at 6:49 am

The Seedbed Daily Wake-Up Call, October 21, 2022

I don’t know much about alliteration and assonance, but I resonate with the assonantal path of awakening that JD outlines: awareness, attention, attunement, attachment, abiding, and abandonment. This description of the path of awakening and spiritual transformation found only in Christ is similar to many others like Robert Coleman’s eight step process of evangelism in The Master Plan of Evangelism (1964) or Barna’s Ten Transformational Stops (2011). Most importantly, I have personally experienced this process in my own life.

I think it is important to note that in my experience this process is not a linear process. “A linear process or development is one in which something changes or progresses straight from one stage to another, and has a starting point and an ending point” (Collins English Dictionary). The process of awakening does not progress or develop smoothly from one stage to the next in a logical way. It is more of a circular, indirect, never ending path that swerves, deviates, winds, and twists unexpectedly. Just about the time you think you have mastered a “step,” you have not. It is more like a Holy Dance of one step forward two steps backwards. It is more of a journey (relationship) than a destination. But take heart beloved, the author and maker of our Salvation, Jesus Christ, is faithful to complete the work He has begun in us by the day of Christ (Philippians 1:6).

As far as where I find myself on this path today, I am oscillating between abiding and total abandonment. There is still ares of my life in need of transformation. I am a work in progress, I believe we all are. So regardless of where you are on any given day, keep leaning forward and you will get there in the fullness of time (Christ Time). By contrast, if you think you are already there, you are probably not.