Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

October 24, 2022 at 6:15 am

The Seedbed Daily Wake-Up Call, October 24, 2022

Today, JD returns to a familiar theme in his reflections, “divine simplicity versus religious busyness.” Every time he does this, my first reaction is to recoil because he seems to place the reading of religious books and the practice of spiritual disciplines in the category of religious busyness. He refers to these practices as “devotional engines,” which they really are. I am a strong advocate of the personal practice of the spiritual disciplines or means of Grace. In his notes, he makes it clear that he does not mean to “eschew” the reading of religious books or the practice of the spiritual disciplines and I suspect he would admit that they have helped shape who he is today.

I, like JD, have read many religious books. In fact, I have several in my library that deal with the issues of divine simplicity and religious busyness. What I have learned from all these books and The Book (at the end of the day, I am a man of only one book, the Bible) is that we have to manage our relationships and connections, and we have to set boundaries in order to have a life in Christ. We also have to set priorities. I like to say people are like tinker toys (legos for younger readers), there are only a defined number of connection points. If you fill them up with relationships that don’t matter, programs, activities, and duties that don’t leave room for Christ, then you have gone astray and have fallen into the trap of religious busyness.

This is where I agree with JD, our number one connection, our number one priority is knowing Jesus, abiding in Him, and putting the things of the Kingdom of God before all else. However, in my view and experience, the personal practice of the spiritual disciplines is the primary means to that end. These practices are not religious busyness. Religious busyness is any relationship, activity, program or duty that takes away from your relationship with and your abiding in Christ.

I know a lot about Jesus and I know Him as a person and my personal Lord and Savior. I am constantly aware of His presence. I am daily being changed by Him, and I am fully committed to His mission.