Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

October 27, 2022 at 6:40 am

The Seedbed Daily Wake-Up Call, October 27, 2022

Distractions (chunks in our life field) along with our busyness are without a doubt the greatest obstacles to living an “awakened life” and bearing the fruit of the Spirit. Once again, I find JD’s footnote to be the most helpful part of his reflections on our text. He says, “There is a way of becoming focused on trying to remove our distractions that actually increases our distractedness. Remember, Jesus is the farmer; not us. We don’t want to get caught in the trap of paying attention to our distractions. This is the seductive strategy of distraction—the more we attend to what distracts us the more distracted we become.” He goes on to say that we need to focus on Jesus and He will “chunk the chunks.”

This is definitely true and it fits with other approaches to sanctification (Holiness). It is not about detachment from sin, that is legalism and results in transactional religion. It is about attachment to Christ, that is Grace and results in transformation. It does relieve me to know that Jesus will help me with this. However, at some point, I still have to abandon (chunk the chunks) in my life that distract me from Being in Christ (abiding).

The kinds of chunks that still liter the field of my life are buried deep in my heart. The easy chunks have already been chunked. These are the doors in my heart that are hidden and have not been opened to Christ. Repentance and confession is the only remedy, but these are stubborn strongholds that keep surfacing and need the daily attention of Christ. This is where banded discipleship and mutual accountability comes into play. James says,”Therefore, confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another so that you may be healed. The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much” (James 5:16). Lord, let it be so with me!