Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

October 28, 2022 at 6:31 am

The Seedbed Daily Wake-Up Call, October 28, 2022

I am a Martha type, task driven, goal oriented, a people pleasing control freak, so I am relieved that JD is not using today’s text to beat up on me and tell me that I need to be like Mary. That is not what Jesus is saying and as JD points out you can both serve and behold, “Her service, far from anxious distraction, had been transformed into an act of love. This is the fruit of the Spirit”.

The issue is not service versus beholding, but being attentive and not being distracted. What causes me to be distracted is self deception. I fall into the trap of believing that it’s about me and that if I don’t do it or fix it, it won’t get done. I become blinded to the more important thing, to become the love of God for the sake others and to let my acts of service flow out of my relationship with God not my attention to the needed, but less important things. JD nailed it, “It is about absorption in self vs. attunement to others; self protection vs. self giving. what I think Martha learned and I am learning is that there is a way to both behold and serve.