Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

November 3, 2022 at 7:02 am

The Seedbed Daily Wake-Up Call, November 3, 2022

Our Golden Retriever, Millie, is very attuned to her master’s voice. She hears and understands every word I say. However, she doesn’t always obey me. That’s where I would put myself. My hearing is very attuned to Jesus, but sometimes my actions are not. It’s not that I don’t want to obey, I just get distracted or His voice gets drowned out by my flesh or other voices.

When Millie doesn’t obey me, I use a training collar to get her attention. It has three different options: a beep, a buzz or vibration, and a shock. When she won’t come to me or stop doing something I don’t want her to do, I will hit the beep button. If that doesn’t work, I will buzz her. If that doesn’t work, I will shock her. That always gets her attention and she comes running to me. Please don’t call PETA on me. I long for the day when I don’t have to use the collar.

We are not dogs and God does not use a training collar to get us to obey. As JD points out, there are two ways He uses to get our attention, His Word and the Holy Spirit. Attunement is the first step, but if abiding and abandonment are our goals, then we have to meditate on His Word night and day, listen to and walk in His Spirit. Having said that, there are beeps, buzzes and shocks (consequences) in this life that we will experience when we disobey His voice. We need to recognize, repent from, and not repeat these actions. I long for the day when I will be so attuned to His voice that abiding and abandonment will be my only response. Lord, let it be so with me.