Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

November 5, 2022 at 6:21 am

The Seedbed Daily Wake-Up Call, November 5, 2022

I wish I had the boldness of Bear and Caryl Mills (no relationship to me), but I rarely encounter anyone who says they are going to Hell and I am not sure what I would say to them if I did. I doubt seriously, that I would immediately start sharing the “Roman Road” with them. In my experience, that does not always get the results that they experienced. In fact, I have seen it turn people off to the Gospel message. I remember a preacher friend that was very evangelistic with everyone he encountered and he always tried to lead them to Christ right there on the spot. He cornered a sales clerk in a shop one day and the reaction was definitely not the same as in this story.

The take away for me from this story is in JD’s question: “Do you tend to live in prayerful expectation of others who are searching—in readied anticipation of listening for the question and not so much giving the answer but receiving the question asker?” I am not being critical of Bear and Caryl, but I see a different approach in this question. Yes, I live in prayerful expectation of encountering others who are searching and I am always ready with an answer for the the faith I have in Christ (1 Peter 3:15), but in my experience it is more about listening, and receiving the one who is searching than giving them the answer. My approach when I encounter others who are hurting or searching is to simply hear their story and to share my story. If they are receptive, I help them connect the dots and I offer to pray for them. I also encourage them to find a community of faith or invite them to come to my church where they can be nurtured in the faith. What do you think and what has been your experience?